As you return to school, take a minute to let the Board of Supervisors know what you're looking for in school funding for next year.
Here are some preliminary estimates of costs and items that we'll be looking at for next year's budget.
|Enrollment Growth||$17.3 million|
|Staff New Schools||$2.8 million|
|Increased Benefits Costs||$10.1 million|
|Increased Salary Costs from deferred raise||$5.7 million|
|Provide Step Increase||$17.2 million|
|Provide Cost of Living Increase||$6.9 million per 1%|
|"One to the World" initiative||? (multi-millions)|
|Expand full-day kindergarten||$1 million|
|Reduce average class sizes||$15 million for 1 student|
|Replace aging buses||$7 million|
|Restore middle school deans||$2.1 million|
|Start a new elementary school foreign language program||?|
|Provide necessary English Language Learner staffing||?|
|Pilot arts magnet program||$50,000|
Looking at these preliminary numbers of items we already know our schools need, it would cost around $90 million in new school funding.
To reach your supervisors office, call 703-777-0204. Everyone's supervisor is Scott York plus the representative for your district. The Finance Committee members are starred (*)
- * Scott York (Chairman, At-Large) Scott.York@loudoun.gov
- * Shawn Williams (Vice-Chairman, Broad Run) Shawn.Williams@loudoun.gov
- Suzanne Volpe (Algonkian) Suzanne.Volpe@loudoun.gov
- * Ralph Buona (Ashburn) Ralph.Buona@loudoun.gov
- Janet Clarke (Blue Ridge) Janet.Clarke@loudoun.gov
- Geary Higgins (Catoctin) Geary.Higgins@loudoun.gov
- * Matthew Letourneau (Dulles) Matt.Letourneau@loudoun.gov
- * Kenneth Reid (Leesburg) Ken.Reid@loudoun.gov
- Eugene Delgaudio (Sterling) Eugene.Delgaudio@loudoun.gov
Don't get a response? Try one of their aides.
Let's make sure the Board of Supervisors is thinking of our schools right now, since we all are.
Hope everyone's first day back is great and best wishes for a wonderful year. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this cute video from our new superintendent: